The debate over Islamism has grown in intensity as Islamist movements have grown in influence. I have long expressed a skeptical view about nature of Islamism and its possible evolution:
- Fundamentalist Islam: The Drive for Power describes the major phases of Islamism through the 1990s.
- Islam vs. Democracy considers the Islamists’ own reservations about democracy and political pluralism.
- The Mismeasure of Political Islam is a reflection on academic myths about the flexibility of Islamism.
- Coming to Terms: Fundamentalists or Islamists? shows how confusion in terminology reflects differences of interpretation.
- Islamists of All Kinds argues that the risks of integrating Hamas and Hizbullah exceed those of all other Islamist movements.